So lets get the basics out of the way What are Metrics? – In terms of online marketing metrics are a statistical analysis of visitor behaviour when they interact with your online presence.
When it comes to marketing your business online there are a multitude of methods available, CPC, CPM, Social Networking, Email Marketing, Re-marketing, The list is endless. The difficulty most business face is in deciding where to spend there advertising budget.
Depending on what they are able to deliver each service provider will tell you that their service or product is the best. For example we offer web design services so of course we think the answer is in having a great website
So how are you as a decision maker going to make the correct choice? the answer is in the title. Metrics are the single most important tool you have to help you make the right choices for your business.
The number one platform for measuring the performance of your marketing efforts is Google Analytics This services is provided for free to anyone. It is a simple job for any web developer (amateur or professional) to install the necessary codes on your website and then the fun can really start. In Google’s own words the tracking can do different things for different people:
- Which marketing initiatives are most effective?
- What are accurate traffic patterns/trends on my websites?
- Which customer and customer segments are most valuable?
For Marketing Professionals:
- Where are my visitors coming from and what do they do on my site?
- How can my website convert more visitors into customers?
- Which keywords resonate with prospects and lead to conversions?
- Which online ad or creative is the most effective?
For Content & Web Developers:
- Why do so many people leave my site without doing what I want?
- Are there website design elements that are turning visitors away?
- What site content are people most interested in?
Analytics gives you the ability to measure performance and if you can measure it you can manage it!